Monday

Purchase and return shops: take 'em or leave 'em?

Sometimes shops require you to make a purchase and return it within a specified time frame in order to get credit for the shop. Other shops require an expensive (or maybe not so expensive) purchase with the option to return. I see pros and cons to this type of shop. In my opinion-
Pros:
You have no OOP expense and receive the shop fee.
You may get  paid more and/or a bonus as these are often less desirable shops.

Cons:
You are often required to write a 2 part report- 1 part for the purchase and 1 part for the return=more work!
You may be required to do the return the following day-  more time, gas, etc.
While it is nice to have no OOP expense, you may be missing out on a "freebie."

Pro/Con??: You may be required to do a little "acting" of a scenario when you do the return (i.e. the reason you did not want the item).

I'll be honest. I did one, yes, ONE, purchase and return and have not done another one. For one, I hate doing returns, in general. Also, I felt like I was not completely believable when making up the excuse as to why I was returning the merchandise. The young salesman seemed so excited to have made the sale and I felt horrible returning it. Also, I was actually tempted to keep the very expensive merchandise (it was an optional return shops). In hindsight, I'm so glad that I did not keep it. The shop fee would not have come anywhere close to covering the cost. The report was more detailed than my non-return shops, therefore requiring more time to do the report. I do non-return shops for another company where I have no OOP expense and get paid the same, so for me, it's hard to justify spending so much time on a purchase and return shop. These are just my thoughts. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment